CEO David Prior returned to Beijing in November and participated in the 2nd Oil Spill Response Workshop symposium held there in December. TOPCO, the show's organizers, have asked him to join the steering committee for the 2013 workshop conference.
New skimmer gets green light for commissioning
In September, the completed 12m EST oil skimmer announced in May was shipped by truck to the large Ohmsett tank-testing facilities in New Jersey, where it passed final tests with flying colors prior to return for commissioning and handover to the Canadian Coast Guard in Charlottetown, PEI.
(See official Press Release)
- Click here for photos and additional information on this project »
Live oil recovery tests positive in China
In August, our 6m EST prototype oil skimmer recovered Bunker C and diesel oils off the coast of China in live tests monitored by its coast guard, the Maritime Safety Administration (MSA). Recovery was virtually 100%, and industry giants PetroChina and Sinopec have since expressed serious interest. Read more »
CCG skimmer vessel a go
In May, Public Works Canada signed a $396,000 contract for a 12m EST oil spill recovery vessel for the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG), with subcontract work on the hull and other components begun almost immediately. Delivery was slated for October 2012.
Also in May, EST announced the formation of China-registered subsidiary EST-HK in aid of our China-based business and construction activities.
Engagement in China
CEO David Prior again spent winter and spring in Beijing conferring on oil spill technology with Chinese business, government and military officials, and representing EST at major trade shows in China and Dubai.
- EST wins Ocean Environmental Protection Award in London
- EST launches 6m prototype at key Chinese trade show
- EST awarded Engage Grant for new research led by Memorial's Dr. Wei Qiu
- EST unveils plans for 70m Arctic oil skimmer ship
- EST proposal selected for Canadian Innovation Commercialization Program
- See details in our 2011 news archive »
EST in the media
- Read our lead editorial on Arctic spill issues:
North Slope Borough Oil Spill Update »
- Read our article Meeting the Challenge of Oil Spill Mitigation in the Arctic in the Winter 2012 edition of the Canadian Naval Review